MS STATE DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY SAFETY PROTOCOLS – Reminders
Safety starts with good practices…
- WIDSIO – When In Doubt Shout It Out!!!
- An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure!
- Prevent incidents by being prepared and knowledgeable
- Follow your group’s standard operating procedures - SOPs
- Discuss deviations from SOPs with lab mates and PIs
- Openly communicate with peers and PIs any concerns
- USE PPE – glasses, gloves, coats…
- Check the SDS
- Know the location of the safety equipment in your lab
But if something does go wrong…
- If there is a fire, pull the fire alarm.
- If there is a fire, if appropriate, use the fire extinguisher, then pull the fire alarm, dial 911, and/or call UPD (662-325-2121)
- If there is a major solvent spill, confine the area (close doors), evacuate the area, and notify the front office.
- If someone is injured, seek medical attention. Longest Health Center is across the street.
- If someone is unconscious call 911, then try to administer first aid. Direct emergency responders when they arrive.
In all cases, when something goes wrong (fire, spill, injury, etc.) a report must be submitted to your PI and the faculty chair of the DSC, email@example.com. In this way, the DSC can continually assess the safety needs of the department and enact necessary changes to keep the researchers safe and productive.