Join SMACS (Student Members of the American Chemical Society), a nationally recognized, award winning student group that is part of the American Chemical Society!
Why Major in Chemistry?
- Chemistry will provide an excellent foundation for careers in Medicine and the Allied Health Sciences. In fact, a Chemistry undergraduate degree is proven to produce higher MCAT scores than Biology or Biochemistry degrees (Source: Association of American Medical Colleges).
- Chemistry offers small and supportive class sections for our Majors that create a student-centered, friendly environment for learning. Class sizes are typically kept at forty or fewer students and are available for the Freshman year of General Chemistry, the Sophomore Year of Organic Chemistry, and upper-division courses, such as Chemical Biology I and II. These courses have been proven to support higher grades and enhanced understanding of the material.
- Chemistry is one of a small number of college majors directly associated with a wide variety of fields including the traditional chemical industries of manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, and analytical research. Chemistry majors also matriculate into related fields such as engineering, environmental science, art conservation, education, forensics, and national security.
Our Chemistry curriculum combines broad based training in the major areas of chemistry (Analytical, Biochemistry, Inorganic, Organic, and Physical) with a firm foundation in mathematics and physics. Students considering graduate school in chemistry or related sciences are strongly encouraged to participate in undergraduate research over a summer or during the academic year. The Chemistry department at MSU has a broad range of research programs for undergraduates including:
- Organic Synthesis
- Polymer Synthesis and Characterization
- Materials Chemistry
- Organometallic Chemistry
- Computational Chemistry
- Enzymology/Drug Discovery
- Biomass Conversion
- Miniature Chemical Sensors
Dr. Whitnee Nettles
Chemistry Department Undergraduate Coordinator
Telephone: (662) 325-3584