Friday, October 9, 2020
Dr. Pravin Kotian, VP Medicinal Chemistry
Time: 4:45 PM
Location: Hand 1100
“Discovery of Rapivab First New and only Antiviral IV Drug Discovered & Commercialized from Alabama for Treatment of Influenza”
Flu is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses that infect the nose, throat, and sometimes the lungs. It can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. In US 29 million were infected in 2019-2020 out of which 24,000-62,000 deaths were reported by CDC. Discovery and synthesis of Peramivir (trade name Rapivab) by BioCryst Pharmaceuticals a potent inhibitor of influenza Nueraminidase Using Structure guided drug design will be presented.
Career Research Experience
1. Broad-Spectrum antiviral (Nucleoside RNA polymerase inhibitor): BCX4430 (Galidesivir), a broad-spectrum antiviral for hemorrhagic fevers COVID-19, Galidesivir (BCX4430) is a broad-spectrum antiviral in advanced development for the treatment of viruses that pose a threat to health and national security, including SARS-CoV-2 (the cause of COVID-19), Ebola, Marburg, Yellow Fever and Zika.
2. Neuraminidase Inhibitors: (Antiviral targeting Flu) RAPIVAB® (peramivir injection) was approved by the FDA, the first FDA approval of a drug discovered by BioCryst.
3. Paramyxovirus Inhibitors: Antiviral Targeting Para flu
4. RNA polymerase Inhibitors: Antiviral Targeting Hepatitis C
1. Plasma Kallikrein Inhibitors: Berotralstat (BCX7353), an oral inhibitor of plasma kallikrein for prevention and treatment of hereditary angioedema (HAE)
2. Tissue Factor/ Factor VIIa Inhibitors: Cardiovascular diseases
3. Complement Factor D Inhibitor Program: BCX9930, an oral Factor D inhibitor for the treatment of complement-mediated diseases
Purine Nucleoside Phosphorylase
PNP Inhibitors (Autoimmune diseases and Oncology).
In April 2017, forodesine (BCX-1777) was approved in Japan for the treatment of relapsed/refractory peripheral T-cell lymphoma;
Ulodesine, also known as BCX4208, is a purine nucleoside phosphorylase (PNP) inhibitor in development as a once-daily oral, chronic treatment for gout.
ALK-2 (activin receptor-like kinase-2) BCX-9250, an oral ALK-2 inhibitor for treatment of Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva (FOP)
Ph.D., 1992, in Organic Chemistry: University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
1992 to 1994: Postdoctoral Chemist, Chemistry and Life Sciences, Research Triangle Institute, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709
2018: Chair-elect Alabama ACS local section
2019: Chair Alabama ACS local section
2020: Chair-elect SERMACS Awards Committee
Click here to view more Seminars