SMACS is currently preparing for National Chemistry Week (NCW) which takes place on Oct. 21st-27th. Please see our NCW page for more information on this big event!
The MSU SMACS (Student Members of the American Chemical Society) is part of the national organization, the American Chemical Society. MSU SMACS strives to cultivate leadership and promote science through education and demonstration. To achieve these goals, MSU SMACS offers leadership roles in officer and committee head positions. The organization continues to further these goals by encouraging personal initiative in its members to develop creative ideas for fundraising awareness, promotion, social, and educational events. MSU SMACS supports members in their attendance and participation at chemistry conferences to encourage networking and career development.
|08/22/18||Shades of Starkville|
|09/06/18||Joint SMACS/CGSA Meeting|
|09/10/18||The Chemistry of Baseball|
|10/22/18-10/27/18||NCW: Out Of This World|
|10/27/18||NCW Tailgate Extravaganza|
|11/27/18||Dept. of Chemistry: Barn Party|
|Vice President||Olivia Murtagh|
|Faculty Advisor||Dr. Eric Van Dornshuld|
How to Join:
To become a member of MSU SMACS, go to www.ACS.org and sign up for national membership. Then join us at the MSU SMACS biweekly meetings held in Hand Lab on the MSU campus on Thursday evenings at 6:00.
Not sure about joining? The meetings are open to anyone that is interested in chemistry and educating the community: so come by and see if SMACS is for you.
Benefits of Being a Member of SMACS:
- Meeting new people, such as fellow students and faculty members
- Funding opportunities for research, travel, and conferences
- Involvment within the Department of Chemistry, the campus, and the community
- Gain hands on experience through science demonstrations
- Stay connected in the science community through ACS membership
- Gain insight into different career options in chemistry
- SMACS sponsors service projects allowing members to give back to the community
- SMACS is fun, and anyone can join and be a part of the great MSU chapter!
Photo Gallery Archive