When a student believes an exception should be made to an existing departmental rule, he or she should discuss the matter with his or her graduate supervisor.  If a supervisor has not been selected, the student must consult the graduate coordinator.  If the supervisor believes that a problem exists,  the student should write a letter to the graduate coordinator requesting relief.  The letter should clearly explain the problem, detail any supporting evidence, and suggest a possible remedy.

The department's graduate affairs committee will meet to discuss the problem and will either accept or deny the request.  If the committee agrees that there is a problem, it can either accept the remedy suggested by the student or allow some other relief.

If the petition is denied, the student may petition his or her supervisor to bring the case before the full faculty of the department for further consideration.