International students must have sufficient funds to cover the current cost of attendance at MSU ($33,000/year), but most graduate students receive full or partial financial support:
- Graduate Excellence Fellowships - A number of competitive fellowships are available for chemistry Ph.D. students. Awardees will receive a stipend of $24,000/year plus a full tuition waiver. The fellowship may be renewed annually if the student makes satisfactory progress toward the Ph.D.
- Teaching Assistantships (TA) - Most new students are offered a TA. In return, a student teaches two labs/semester. Weekly duties include 6 direct contact hours, grading time, and meeting with the lab coordinator. New TAs also staff the NMR training room.
- Merit Supplements - These awards are given to first-year incoming graduate students with exceptional promise. The awards are distributed annually and may be renewed once. An additional $2000 supplement may be awarded on top of the basic TA stipend.
- Research Assistantships (RA) -Although occasionally offered to new students, they are usually awarded to more senior students. RAs perfom full-time research for the faculty member providing the funding.
- External Awards - Numerous national awards (NSF, Merck....) are available to support graduate students. The Chemistry department will support the application of any current or prospective graduate student.